Monday, January 12, 2009

Sunburst II: A creative fire in the mind.





This post will make more sense after you've read my first "Sunburst" post.




...So, I've had this meditation for years, and found it very helpful when I feel uninspired, afraid or even angry.

Then, two years ago we bought a house. A serious fixer, in addition to the interior needing lots of work, the back yard was essentially an uneven slope of weeds with one big tree in the corner.


I was surprised once we moved in how motivated I was to develop the garden, I had always considered myself a brown thumb, able to kill any house plants I neared. But now I was burning with desire, and spent every waking moment either working on it or meditating on it.


The process has been one of the most important "wizard classes" I've had, I feel I have learned a host of new skills (I could use that new vocabulary about now) in both creation and collaboration.

One of the many learning's I had from this process was a new understanding of my sunburst. Without trying, I would find it floating in front of my minds eye.

As I watched it and pondered, I noticed its character became clearer to me, the texture was no longer just undifferentiated glowing light, now I could see that it was made up of something related to flames that are somehow also sparks.

Constantly in motion, its like a jewel with limitless facets that endlessly turn in on themselves. (The motion reminded me of computer animations of theoretical 4th dimensional objects, such as hypercubes.)



I noticed that it came up most strongly for me at the point where I was shifting from "conceptualizing" my garden plans and moved into the physical "action" of landscaping.

One day, a moment of inspiration hit me that set off a series of profound inner experiences. I had the strong sense that this image, was a representation of what I now call the "reality engine".

I have long believed that we create our reality in a sort of subconscious state, and then somehow translate that into three dimensions, I am now convinced that this image is symbol of the process we use to do that.

What's more, I now think that this is not a completely subjective, abstract vision based on my meditation, but instead
a universal symbol of reality generation.

You see, I started to realize its uncanny resemblance to the ancient symbol of the mandala. For awhile, every time I would see a mandala, I would say to myself "that's it!"

But it didn't stop there, soon, I began to see how often in nature we experience a burst of life in a similar visual pattern, suddenly they all seemed to be symbolic representations of the reality engine; a flower opening and our sun of course are two obvious corollaries.

The image even came up in my artwork.







Although I knew nothing of the official ideas of what a mandala is, a simple "Googling", found this, which sounds very close to the understanding I came to by myself.

I would love to hear if any of you have had any similar experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment